"When we all think alike, then no one is thinking."
— Walter Lippman

Friday, March 14, 2014

Nosferatu The Vampire


I've been taking an online class with one of my favorite artists, Michael DeMeng, called Punk Fiction and Cave of Pages.   In the class, we have learned some great techniques for altering a book cover, and then creating an interior using a variety of mixed media and assemblage techniques.
For my theme, I chose Nosferatu the Vampire.    
 Using a small hardbound journal as my structure, I altered the cover using layers of Aves Apoxy Clay, and a variety of metal objects, including some small brass letters that I was able to embed in the surface.  Painting techniques were then applied to create the desired effects.
The interior was then carved out to create a niche for the portrait of Count Orlok, Nosferatu.  The edges of the niche are covered with pieces of an antique map, and painted with several layers of paint to enhance the aged effect.  
I began the portrait with a black and white photograph of the character as portrayed by actor Klaus Kinski in the 1979 version of the movie.  Using photoshop and acrylic paints, I altered the photograph, mounted it with a leather mat and cut a channel for a piece of clear glass to cover it.   This was then secured behind the block of pages with the carved niche, creating a box-like effect.  
The facing cover is embellished with a thick piece of brown leather on which I stitched a key and a piece of elaborate waxed linen knot work.   Two strips of black leather hold the knotwork in place and the whole piece fits nicely into the niche when closed.  
  The interior edge of the niche is covered with antique brocade, which is further "aged" with paint.
The spine of the book was reinforced with dark brown leather and decorative copper nails.
 
 The two teeth on the cover pay homage to the unique look of this vampire, whose trademark fangs were placed at the front of his mouth rather than in the more common canine position.  I've always thought Nosferatu had the most frightening apperance of all fictional vampires for this reason.
I think it's finished, but like all projects, it may get an additional tweak here and there as it sits on my work table a while longer.  

The class has been great fun, and I have another book in the works, waiting for the interior work to begin.
For anyone considering taking a class with Michael DeMeng, in person or online, I would highly recommend it.  You will learn so many creative techniques that can be applied to your  mixed media projects.   I've taken several of his classes and keep going back for more.  

1 comment:

Logs said...

Very nice work and very imaginative. I love the texture and look of the cover.

Related Posts with Thumbnails
If you have come this far and want to see more, please click on the words "Older Posts" above.