"When we all think alike, then no one is thinking."
— Walter Lippman

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Cigar Box Assemblage





Several years ago my good friend Terry Garrett gave me some nice wooden cigar boxes to play with in my studio.   I have been thinking about what I wanted to do with them, and just recently was inspired to create an assemblage with one of them.    Out came the Dremel Tool, X-acto knife, detail saw and drill.  With no idea what would happen, I started building a little structure.
Once that was finished, it was painted and covered with stained vintage papers on the interior.  
Then began the search through my collection of "stuff" for a focal point to provide further inspiration.  


Having recently purchased this photograph of a young girl in an antique shop, I decided this would be the subject.  I surrounded her with another frame of waxed linen cording, and constructed another box to house the photograph.  There is glass covering the front of the smaller box, and the sides are covered with antique brocade.   


A pair of small doll hands were secured into the opening of the large box, and I used fabric scraps and paint to create the texture around them as they reach out.   
Vintage papers and other found objects were then arranged and adhered into place around the interior.
The story is left up to the viewer....   I have one in mind, but wouldn't want to take away from whatever narrative you care to come up with.  

                              


4 comments:

tgarrett said...

I love this Ann! And so cool that you used one of the boxes-

Creepy Glowbugg said...

I am so inspired by your project, but mostly how you used those baby doll hands. I usually just use the heads, and I have quite collection of feet and hands sitting idle. Now I have so many ideas!!!

Skyline Spirit said...

pretty nice blog, following :)

Ann Renee Lighter said...

So glad you were inspired! Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails
If you have come this far and want to see more, please click on the words "Older Posts" above.